2D ORGANIZING PHYSICAL SPACE
The teacher organizes, allocates, and manages physical space to create a safe learning environment. The teacher uses physical resources to contribute to effective instruction and makes resources accessible to all students.
ELEMENTS AND INDICATORS OF PERFORMANCE
Safety and Accessibility
- The classroom is safe and students assist in monitoring for safety.
- Aisles/passage areas are clear to ensure the safe movement of the students.
- The room arrangement assures that all students have access to the learning.
- The teacher models and sets expectations for appropriate equipment use and safety procedures.
- The teacher monitors and corrects any safety infractions.
- The teacher ensures all students have the needed materials to be successful in learning.
- Students know where the needed materials are located and acquire the resources in a manner that does not disrupt the learning for others.
- The teacher arranges the setting to maximize learning.
- The teacher implements different grouping strategies during the class period.
- Seating Charts
- Classroom Maps
- Classroom safety binder
- Colleagues' classrooms
Possible Teacher Evidence
- Organizes the physical layout of the classroom to have clear traﬃc patterns
- Arranges the physical layout to provide easy access to the materials and centers
- Decorates the classroom in a way that enhances student learning
- Bulletin boards relate to current content
- Student work is displayed
- Design of classroom is purposeful in regard to teaching spaces and placement of resources
- Uses signal to facilitate transitions between activities and movement around classroom
- Classrooms are organized for effective teaching
- Classroom is safe (cords, computers, heavy objects, etc. are secure)
- Data collection of movement within the environment. Mapping movement will show if parts of the room lend to poor accessibility.
- Peer observation specifically watching for ease of transitions within the room and movement of students to access resources. Feedback
- Formative feedback from students about seating and resources available.
- Lesson plan evidence of goal
- Collection of evidence placed in learning goal binder.
- Photograph or video
Possible Student Evidence
- Move easily about the classroom
- Use materials and learning centers
- Attend to examples of their work that are displayed
- Attend to information on the bulletin boards
- Focus on instruction
- Show signs of pride regarding their accomplishments in class
- Say they want to continue to make progress
- Interact with posted information throughout lessons
EXAMPLE GOALS (S.M.A.R.T.)
- Once each quarter, I will provide opportunities for my administrator and colleagues to give feedback specific to the physical arrangement of my classroom. (Map movement and record conversation)
- By the end of October, I will design three classroom arrangements so each student will have ease of access to resources and materials in the room. (Evidence of classroom drawings including arrangement of groups of pairs, triads, and individual)
- This school year, I will be more cognizant about the physical arrangement of my classroom to provide the best learning/safety environment possible for all students. I will document my observations in a professional journal.
- I will create a flexible learning environment which will allow for ease of transition between paired/group/whole group work.
- I will practice safety procedures with my students once per quarter.
- How do you become aware of the students in your classroom who have disabilities? What resources are available to assist in finding out what student accommodations may be? What can you do to help other staff members meet specific student needs?
- What procedures and routines can you implement to improve the transitions in your classroom? How often do you need to practice these? What do you do with students who “drag their feet” with transitioning through the various phases of your lesson? How do you determine student pairs and our small groups?
- Why are safety drills important? What can you do to emphasize the significance of safety drills? How can you share suggestions with the school safety team? Who makes up the school safety team? What can you do to emphasize the importance of safety in your classroom and throughout the entire school?
- What can I do to have a safe classroom that is equally accessible to all students?
- How can I ensure that my classroom allows for easy access to all resources?
- How can I take advantage of physical resources to engage learners?